- Beginner or intermediate courses
- With experienced film trainer Tom Barrance
- Available anywhere in the UK and Europe
- No filmmaking experience needed
My iPad, iPhone and Android filmmaking training is designed for people with no experience of making videos. It’s carefully structured to introduce the key skills you need to make short factual or training films on your mobile devices. The training is available at your organisation anywhere in the UK and Europe. I can also provide training for individuals and small groups in Cardiff.
I’m Tom Barrance, one of the UK’s most experienced film educators. I have over 20 years experience of delivering film training and workshops around the UK and beyond. I’ve provided this training for small and large businesses, the NHS, universities, charities, nonprofits, arts and drama groups. Check out my feedback.
If my face to face training isn’t convenient, check out this online course.
You can choose the option that suits your needs:
- One-day beginners’ course: this is my most popular course
- Half-day basic course which covers the essentials to get you started
- In-depth two day course which includes planning, shooting and editing a complete short movie
- Follow-up courses on specific aspects of mobile filmmaking or editing.
If you want to shoot and edit on your phone or iPad, we’ll use Apple’s easy iMovie, the Android app PowerDirector or Adobe Premiere Rush. If you prefer the power and flexibility of editing on desktop, I can teach you iMovie for desktop, Final Cut Pro X, or Adobe Premiere Pro CC instead. Editing programs compared
I also cover more advanced mobile apps such as the Filmic Pro camera app and LumaFusion for editing, and accessories such as stabilisers and wireless microphones.
Interested in mobile film training? Please email me (address at top of page) or ring me on 029 2009 5900 (UK).
One-day course content
I’ll show you some short films so you can see how they combine pictures, sound and editing to tell their stories. We’ll explore the different shots you can use, and how to combine them so that they make sense together. Then I’ll look at different ways of generating ideas and planning a film.
The film recipe
The core of the course is what I call the ‘film recipe’. You’ll start by filming and recording sound, gathering the ingredients that you’ll edit together later. This session will teach you how to:
- shoot good video and stills with the Camera app
- film different shots to tell a story
- film a ‘talking head’ presentation or an interview.
Putting it together
Then you’ll start editing. You’ll learn how to
- put video and stills into the program, trim them and change the order
- add and adjust audio, including voiceover and music
- illustrate a presentation or interview with ‘cutaways’
- use transitions, effects and titles
- fine-tune your film
- share your finished movie.
The course also covers:
- principles of film planning
- ways for structuring your story
- alternative apps and accessories for iPhone filmmaking
The 28-page PDF course booklet takes you step-by-step through the filmmaking process.
When you make a film on your own after the course, send me a link and I’ll provide written feedback and suggestions.
The cost of courses depends on your location. Please get in touch to discuss your needs or book a course.
What people say
“Tom is a really good teacher and is able to convey a lot of technical detail without baffling his audience. Highly recommended.”
Gillian Southgate, Assistant Director, NHS R&D Northwest
“Simply excellent. Fun, interesting, useful and rewarding.”
Derek C Stewart OBE, Associate Director for Patient, Public Involvement & Engagement, NIHR CRN
“I cannot overstate how much potential these simple filming skills will give you for instigating change, improving efficiency and communication, and achieving your own ambitions.”
Sarah Adcock, Senior Specialist Physiotherapist, Manchester Royal Infirmary
Online courses are more affordable than face to face training for individuals. And they’re more convenient: you can learn wherever you want, at your own pace. This section contains affiliate links.
This CreativeLive.com course is taught by experienced mobile filmmaker/photographer Cielo de la Paz. It’s a comprehensive three-hour course with 19 video lessons covering everything from planning and equipment to location shooting, audio interviewing and editing.
Cielo’s course covers filming with the Filmic Pro app, and editing with LumaFusion. Cielo has an engaging teaching style and her course gets 100% positive student reviews. And all CreativeLive courses have a 30-day money back guarantee. Learn more